Wednesday, December 30, 2009

"I'm Gonna Text Judy On My Zipit..."

A couple months ago I received a call from my Father. He was blabbing on, all excited about something he had seen on Hak 5. (some nerdy tech show) On this show, the people hacked a hand-held instant messaging device and converted it to a little mini computer. I asked my Dad what the name of the device was. He couldn't remember at first but I instantly thought Zipit. "Zipit?" I say. "Why yes!" he exclaims. I got excited at this point because one of my favorite YouTube personalities, Fred, has a Zipit and promotes it. Fred has many videos and YOU should watch them. So funny!



So today, I awake to the sound of my phone ringing. I groggily answer, "Hello?" "Katie, get out bed and get your butt in here!" My Dad had called to wake me up. I stumble into his room and he says, "Today is the day!" "What?" I say. He merely says "Zipit," and I know what he is thinking. I settle down on his bed and we start watching the episode so that I know what to do. I begin to follow along as I watch. I struggled to find the proper downloads to load on the miniSD card that I would put in the Zipit.

Everything was going swimmingly until I loaded the Linux image on the miniSD. The driver I had installed to allow me to access the Linux files from my Windows machine was not working properly. I could not open the card and put on the additional needed files.

The next step was to try and access them from a Linux machine. So we installed a Virtual Machine of Ubuntu Linux on my Dad's laptop. We tried opening the card on there but did not know all the proper commands to open the card. PAIN IN THE BUTT! My Dad kept going on about how great it was that I was getting this learning experience. Not so much. I was bitter that it wasn't working and may have sworn quite a few times.

We still have not gotten it working which is extremely frustrating because Hak 5 made it look so easy! I guess I will have to work on it some more tomorrow... lame! I hate the work portion. I just want to have a cool little mini computer. I mean, come on... who doesn't? Hopefully I will have it working tomorrow and can look SUPER cool on my Zipit... just like Fred!



No comments:

Post a Comment